Do you want to know what aquatic plants are? From the name, you should already imagine what species we are talking about. Yes, they are those that can live in water or whose life cycle is guaranteed within the limits of any river, lake, pond, among others.
Table of Contents
Unlike those that need the land to survive, the main component of life for an aquatic plant is water, so its survival largely depends on being close to somewhere where this vital liquid is found.
In this article we tell you everything we know about water lilies . Therefore, if what you want is to plant some flowers or plants of this type in your garden, you must be aware of having a pond full of water that provides the necessary vitality to keep an aquatic plant alive.
If you want more information about them or where to buy them, many of the nurseries specialized in exotic plants , present these for sale as well as comprehensive advice that will help you choose which one to keep. Do you want to know more? Continue reading below.
What do you need:
- They need water to live.
- They are usually very durable and with evergreen leaves that gives them their longevity.
- They maintain their flowers throughout the year, which makes them an ideal plant for the garden.
- They do not need much care, although there are some species that are delicate.
- They offer showiness and elegance to the space you have chosen to build the garden.
Aquatic plants are also called hydrophytes, which refers to those living beings that need water to stay alive and with an intense green color that characterizes them. They are usually present in environments where humidity shines because it is high.
Many of them remain on the surface floating adrift, while others need to anchor their roots to the bottom where they feed and maintain their position in the water, which is not essential for their subsistence, since it is the water. their main livelihood.
They are usually found in freshwater lakes, rivers and ponds where they can remain undisturbed as well as see them grow in some parts of saltwater without being affected by its composition, since they adapt to the environment that gives them life.
You can buy the seeds and place them directly on the surface of the water, so that the plant is born or simply place the plant that you buy in the nursery directly in the water, so that it adapts well, offering it the special fertilizer that it needs, at different times of the year. year.
Things to keep in mind about an aquatic plant
- Aquatic plants are those that need to be in the water to survive, found in rivers, lagoons, lakes among many sources of salt and fresh water, finding some species that take their leaves to the surface of the water.
- They are important for natural life because they keep the water free of external agents or insects that are harmful to people, as well as fungi or algae that remain in the water, filling it with dirt.
- There are a great variety of species known and cataloged by man, being able to choose among many varied or exotic ones with which you can maintain a well-cared, beautiful, clean garden and, on top of that, striking with these beautiful plants.
- They all need to be submerged in water or, failing that, remain on the surface of the water, but there is a specimen that only needs the humidity of the place where it is to live, watering itself where it finds this opportunity.
- Among the plants that do not need to be in the water, but that are considered aquatic because they stay close to a humid place, you can find bamboo and fern, so it is important that you provide them with enough water so that they remain firm and full of life. .
- Floating plants are those that do not have roots in the water and drift in the river or water that transports them while providing the means to keep them always green and beautiful, so you must be aware to recognize them.
- Floating plants can be placed freely in the water, letting them perform their function of adorning the pond, as well as keeping it clean at all times. At the same time, you should be aware of removing some as they expand easily.
- The plants that are found in deeper waters are the ones that need a little more depth so that they can adsorb the necessary nutrients to survive, which also allows the water not to be filled with dirt.
- Oxygenating aquatic plants are those that need to be totally submerged to survive, breathing through the flower, which remains out of the water for showiness in addition to giving it the necessary oxygen for the plant to live.
- The riparian aquatic plants are those that live close to the waters, without depending so much on the water, but that depend on the humidity to be able to survive; They thrive both in and out of the water.
- Do not let pets drink from the water where you have your aquatic plants, so they do not print bacteria that can have fatal consequences for the life of this type of ornamental plant, also do not let the birds dirty the water with food residues and feces.
- Choose the best plants and of course those that offer you the greatest resistance. Some of this species have flowers of different colors and can give a more natural look to that space that you have decided to place as ecological.
- You must take into account the conditions that plants of this type need to have them in your garden.
- This type of plant is usually very strong to exchange the oxygen that it must expel into the air to purify it by taking nutrients from the water.
- They offer an effect of nature to your garden, giving beauty and purity to the environment where you have planted them.
- They offer you a feeling of peace, tranquility, calm, necessary for the relaxation you need after a long day of work.
- They purify both the environment that surrounds them and the water where they live, keeping away insects and other bacteria that try to infect the water.
- They supply the oxygen necessary for the life of other living beings, which is why they are important when choosing them as an ornamental plant in your garden.
- They keep the environment fresh for you and your family, so it is important that you have them as the first option for your garden.
- You can include fish in your natural pond, which through these plants can live feeding and receiving the necessary oxygen.
- To keep them always green and beautiful, you should prune them from time to time to remove the dryness, as well as needing the sun’s rays to take nutrients from it.
- Do not cover them when it rains, since the rainwater provides them with nutrients that they cannot obtain from the pond water.
Have you seen how much advice we have given you and how much information? Aquatic plants are fascinating, go ahead and try the experience of having one at home.