Many psychologists and experts in the field have determined that it is important to spend quality time with children. However, this does not mean that if you only dedicate 15 minutes a day to talk with them, it is enough and recommended.
Table of Contents
In reality, parents should make an effort to carve out time from their busy work schedules to share with their children, since they have needs that must be met so that they can develop healthily and become productive and responsible adults.
The situation lived due to Covid-19 has led to the opportunity to share a greater amount of quality time, since almost all activities must be carried out from home, including entertainment.
If children do not engage in healthy activity, they will be much more likely to develop anxiety attacks, hyperactivity, depression, insomnia and much more. Therefore, it is best to use your ingenuity and give them work to do, so that they stay busy in productive activities.
One of these activities is gardening. Various studies have shown that it brings great benefits to the physical and mental health of the person who practices it. In addition, it contributes to creating environmental awareness, cares for the planet and promotes healthy coexistence with all animal species that are attracted to the garden.
Since gardening is full of different types of activities, you can assign your child a few of them and even offer to do them with him, in order to strengthen the emotional ties between the two of you, improve communication and deal with problem situations in a friendly way. Peaceful.
But what kind of gardening activities can children carry out? During this article you will learn what they are and how you can put them into practice. Let’s see it.
Some of the gardening activities that children can practice are the following:
- Plant legumes in a glass jar. This is one of the most common activities at school. However, once the task has been completed and a grade has been received, it is normal to stop caring for said seed that was sown. Now the goal is to continue taking care of it so that it can develop and become a plant.
- The activity consists of putting a little cotton and some raw legumes, such as lentils, chickpeas or beans, in a glass jar. Lugo, moisten the cotton a little and, after a few days, they will be able to observe together how the legume has been germinating. As you have noticed, it is easy, fast and very enjoyable for children.
- Decorate pots. Take a container that you have at home, no matter what the material is, provide the child with other work tools and allow him to decorate it in the way he sees fit. Doing this will give free rein to his imagination?
- When it is ready, it will be time to use it to plant some aromatic plants inside it, such as basil, rosemary, chamomile or some vegetable seeds. Children should also participate in this part of the activity.
- Make a birdbath for the birds. To carry out this activity together with the children, you just have to use several pots that are the same size and the ceramic dishes, which usually come with them.
- Place the pot upside down and the other on it, using one of the plants as a support. In such a way that it acquires the form of a small fountain. Then place another of the ceramic plates on top and fill it with water. Try to locate it in a quiet place so that the birds can get to drink some water.
Other activities that children can do in the garden are pruning the plants, watering them, decorating, removing branches and dry leaves, mowing the lawn, sweeping it with the rake, fertilizing the plants, collecting ripe fruits, etc.
However, although most of the time these are very safe activities, it is always recommended that children carry them out under the supervision of their parents. Actually, the ideal is that they can do it together with them. Thus, both will end up enjoying a pleasant and very pleasant time. But what do you need to achieve it?
What do you need:
- The first thing you will need to do is make enough time to do these activities without haste and in a pleasant way. Gardening can help your child develop valuable qualities like patience, kindness, and self-control. If you give them the example, the lesson will be recorded better.
- Make sure you have the necessary instruments. This includes the use of protective elements, such as glasses, a pair of gloves and appropriate clothing and shoes, a hat to protect oneself from the sun’s rays, etc.
They will also need pruning shears, a hose to water , enough plants and seeds, soil, water, fertilizer, vitamins for the plants, a lawn mower, among other materials and specialized tools.
- Since you’ll be combining gardening with some crafts, you’ll also need clay pots for decorating, paint, brushes, glue, colored ribbon, and other decorative items, depending on the project you’re doing.
- Finally, they will need an action plan. Each of the participants must know what task to perform and how it is recommended to do it. In this way, they will finish on time and can enjoy watching their work while drinking refreshing lemonade with lots of ice together.
Gardening can be a very rewarding activity for children. Therefore, it is worth trying. But what other benefits does it offer your children? Knowing them will encourage you to get down to work today.
Some of the main advantages of gardening, for the little ones in the house, are the following:
- It helps them cultivate qualities such as patience, as children are forced to have to wait, as long as it takes, to see how the seed they have planted develops and grows.
- It encourages responsibility, because they learn to take care of another living being, instead of always having to take care of them.
- It allows them to know what the countryside is like, how flowers develop and grow, where the fruits and vegetables that are eaten come from, etc.
- It instills in them respect for nature and the environment.
- It encourages a healthier and more organic lifestyle for them.
- Values such as perseverance, effort and dedication are strengthened.
- They experience great satisfaction and a sense of well-being when they see the results of their hard work and the progress of the seeds and plants they have planted.
- It allows them to have a fun time, away from television and video games.
- It makes them friendlier; because it deserves that they treat the plants with respect and delicacy so that they can develop well and continue growing.
- They get involved in the activity and feel useful.
- It makes them feel closer to their parents, as they spend quality time with them, collaborating shoulder to shoulder in this activity.
- It contributes to your mental and emotional well-being.
- It makes them happier.
- It helps them develop healthier and stronger, among other benefits.
For these, and for many more reasons, it is important that, from a very young age, you make an effort to carry out different gardening activities with your child. Many of them can be assigned taking into account aspects such as their age, size, strength, motor skills, understanding, attention span, etc.
If you put these recommendations into practice, you will never regret it, as it will be an excellent way to spend quality time with your children, not only now, while the Covid-19 quarantine lasts, but also in the future to continue strengthening your ties. Affective and make your father-son relationship much healthier and stronger.