Planting vegetables and herbs in your garden that you only have to buy once is very simple. For this reason, more and more people are deciding to find out how to plant avocado seeds, which is as simple as taking its pit and planting it. In no time you will have an avocado tree to enjoy.
Table of Contents
Avocado is a fruit that has great properties, among which are its high-quality proteins, essential fatty acids and antioxidants such as vitamin E and D, as well as being rich in folic acid and having a large amount of potassium. Therefore, it is highly recommended to introduce it into the diet of any person.
In addition, it has the particularity that it can be used in its entirety, since with the stone so characteristic of this fruit you will be able to get a plant that will give you many more fruits in the future.
The avocado is the fruit of the avocado tree, a tree that belongs to the Lauraceous family, and woody plants that grow in warm climates. Over the last few years, it is a fruit that has been gaining great popularity due to its many properties and benefits, which we are going to talk about right now.
Avocado contains fats that represent 23% of its total weight, being monounsaturated fats like those you can find in olive oil, being very healthy, and therefore, highly recommended for human consumption. It is also rich in vitamin E, which is useful for protecting the cell membrane and its nucleus, which reduces the chances of suffering from some type of disease such as cancer. Similarly, it provides large amounts of Vitamin C, provitamin A and various minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, copper, zinc, iron, calcium or magnesium.
All these properties mean that the avocado can help reduce the so-called bad cholesterol, while increasing the good one. It is also highly recommended for children and pregnant women as well as for athletes thanks to its high amount of folic acid. Studies also ensure that it helps to preserve and protect sight, reducing the risk of suffering from a cataract problem.
If all this were not enough, keep in mind that the pulp of the avocado is used to prepare skin masks, with which to prevent the appearance of wrinkles, treat acne or as a treatment for burns. As you can see, they have numerous properties and benefits.
Why eat avocado:
Although we have already talked about its numerous and positive properties, we must bear in mind that there are a number of reasons that may be key for you to decide to eat avocado and enjoy this fruit, some of them being the following:
- Helps reduce bad cholesterol and stabilize heart rate.
- Promotes the growth and repair of muscle mass.
- Contributes to improving the immune system.
- It provides a feeling of satiety, which helps in weight loss diets.
- They reduce inflammation in the joints, in addition to collaborating in the repair of cartilage.
- It is anticancer and serves to protect itself from cancer cells.
- It helps when it comes to stimulating memory, and is therefore recommended for students, the elderly and people with Alzheimer’s.
- Helps improve the appearance and condition of the skin.
- It acts as a powerful natural aphrodisiac, increasing the blood rhythm.
Common Pests and Diseases on Avocados
Avocados are fruits that are very succulent for humans, but they are also for other beings, which mean that they can give rise to pest problems. Although they are strong for being a tree, there are some common pests and diseases that you should watch out for and they are as follows:
- Rotten roots: These usually take place due to excess watering and humidity in the environment. A characteristic symptom is that the leaves turn yellow, wither and die over time despite the fact that the conditions for their growth are adequate. To try to put an end to the problem, it is advisable to stop watering. In the event that the case has advanced a lot, you should make a hole so that the roots can aerate. The tree can die, especially if it is a young plant.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs cause the appearance of yellow dots on the leaves, which quickly dry out. The leaves fail quickly because of this pest. To get rid of it, it is recommended to use a commercial pesticide or some natural remedy. There are products that are specially focused for this.
- Withering and rust: In this case, you will see how there are dead parts in your tree, which will cause the fruits and leaves that are in them to die after withering. To end this problem you should try to eliminate the affected areas of the tree. Then wash all the tools well before using them on the tree again.
- Borers: In this case they tend to pierce the tree, creating small holes through which sage could be expelled. To avoid this, it is necessary to carry out prevention work. These consist of always keeping the tree healthy and well fed. In the event that there are borers, it is advisable to cut and throw away the affected branch to prevent its spread.
Instructions for planting Avocado Seeds
If you want to know how to plant an avocado, then we are going to explain, step by step, what you must do to achieve your goal:
- First of all, you must proceed to remove the seed, which is the bone, from the avocado.
- Once you have done it, you must clean it, to later introduce half of the nugget or bone in water, for which you must place three sticks stuck in the middle.
- Then you must fill a glass of water that is not too deep and place the bone with the sticks stuck in it, filling it with water until it covers half of the nugget.
- From that moment you have to wait for the root to reach about 10 cm in length, at which point you will proceed to remove the seed from the water and remove the toothpicks.
- The next step is to prepare a pot that is not too large with soil and plant the seed, watering it with water. You must place it so that half of the nugget is inside the earth and the other half is outside of it.
- Once a little more than a month has passed you will be able to see how leaves begin to grow. From that moment on, it will grow and there will come a time when you will have to change the potted plant, if you have planted it in one and not directly in the soil of your garden.
What do you need to plant Avocado Seeds?
- An avocado pit, which you can find in any avocado you’ve ever bought.
- A pot or orchard in which to plant.
- Glass of water.
- Long chopsticks.
Tips for Planting Avocado Seeds
Some very important considerations regarding the planting of avocados are the following:
- Avocados should be planted in warm areas where there is a lot of sunlight.
- They should be sown in spring.
- You must prepare the soil by plowing it and carrying out the process in acid soils with a PH of between 5 and 7, since this way they will be able to absorb more nutrients.