If there is a key season to show off the gardens, that is summer (along with spring) because of its good weather, because that is when it is generally used the most, it is enjoyed… for this reason, it is not strange to see many people in these seasons, shop for produce, and take care of the lawn.
Table of Contents
But, maintenance is just as important as knowing from the beginning what type of lawn to use. Because it is not the same, a lawn that supports the steps well and is suffered, to another, that is simple decoration. Or a type of cut, higher, shorter, more delicate, green throughout the year, etc.
It is a big mistake, not taking all these things into account before planting and sowing and oddly enough, the most common mistakes.
Lawn Care Instructions
- You have to be very clear about some premises before sowing the grass in the garden. Once, for example, the place is already known, the following must be taken into account: the lawn must have good soil, good fertilizer, light and correct irrigation.
- If all this is taken into account and done well, you should not have any problem so that you have a beautiful lawn in your garden, very green and splendid.
- The lawn is capricious and although it seems that being grass can always be lush and green, you should not trust it. It is not like this. The lawn is delicate and only if you take into account the basics (already mentioned) you can have it all year round and maintain it without the biggest problem.
- As for irrigation: irrigation is basic for the lawn. As for any plant, flower and for good maintenance of any living garden. Therefore, you must take into account, above all, what time of year they are. Be very careful because of course, it will not be the same in winter as in summer.
- In winter: watering should be about twice a month. If it rains more often or you are in places where it rains daily, then you should take this into account and not water it. If it has too much water it will spoil because it will begin to puddle and consequently, it will rot.
- In spring: the most frequent thing is to water it every other day. But hey, it’s broad strokes. If it is a spring where it rains a lot, you should pay attention to the state of the grass and its soil. If it’s wet, don’t water it. Wait until it is at a medium point to hydrate it.
- In summer: it is normal to water it daily. Of course, the heat takes its toll. So make sure it’s moist enough not to dry out, burn and die.
- In autumn: in this season you should control the weather. If it rains a lot, you won’t need a gift. But if not, try to do it a few times a week. It always depends on where you live. If you are in humid, warm areas…
- The subscription as we mentioned is also very important. Perhaps you think that it is not, but you have noticed or have seen some gardens where the grass is uneven, they have been burned and it is yellow or brown, that it has bald spots, there is no grass, etc. All this can be given, among other things, to the fertilizer. It is important that they do not tell you otherwise. And it is not so complex or complicated to care for either. If you take it into account, the difference in the appearance of your lawn, you will see that it is abysmal.
- Ideally, you could know in advance what type of soil you have and what water. Is it calcareous? Is it acidic? Etc. Very important to be able to administer the right fertilizer and not add more vitamins than they should (or less).
- Knowing this, it is normal to look at what grass you have placed/sown and know what specific needs it needs. More nitrogen, less, more or less aeration, control acidity, hydrogen, carbon, air, etc. But don’t worry, let’s make it simpler.
- Let’s suppose that we don’t know any data of all the previously mentioned then, the ideal thing would be to calculate at least this: Analyze the pH of the soil. It will vary and will need some care or others if it is alkaline or acid. If it is alkaline, you should know that it will be a high pH and if it is a low pH, it will be an acid soil. To get an idea, the proper and correct pH should be between 5.5 and no more than 8.
- As for fertilizers, you will find them in two formats: liquid and granulated. Keep in mind that there is also fast and slow action. Look at the one that interests you the most.
- Liquid fertilizers are usually always fast acting. Each brand will indicate how to administer it, but almost all of them are mixed with water and in this way while the lawn is being watered, it is being paid. Of course, this is fast and it saves you a lot of work and keeping an eye on it, but also, being fast-acting, you need to repeat it more often. How many? Usually two months or eleven a month.
- As a trick we can tell you that everything is naive. Many gardens, when it comes to adding fertilizer (think of the dimensions of each garden, which can be huge), pour the fertilizer directly into the hoses or into thick areas. In this way, you do not leave any area untreated or spend so much time doing it.
- Fertilizers that are granulated: these either you buy a device to pour the granules or you pour them directly, by hand. Of course, you have to take into account where you are throwing them so as not to leave areas without paying or paying too much. After adding the fertilizer in granules you have to water it (you lose more time) but it is essential to do so that it mixes well with the soil.
- The cut is another of the most important factors. You have to cut it when it touches, not more than necessary or let it grow as if it were a weed. The season of the year always influences it so that it grows more or less and therefore, cuts it more or less often.
- You will need a lawnmower to cut it. You can find them with cable (electric), gasoline or manual. None is a priori better than another, they all work for the same thing, mowing the lawn, but choosing the right one will only depend on what you want to spend on the lawnmower.
- When you have the mower, keep in mind in which area you plant it and have it and it will depend on it, if you cut it more or less high.
- If you have the grass in areas to decorate and you do not step on it or it is transit, you can leave it up to two centimeters. On the other hand, for the one that is in transit, it is usually left a little longer between three and four centimeters.
- Do not forget either, that no matter how good the lawnmower is, you should also control aspects such as the height of the blade cut and also that the blades are well sharpened. If they are not sharp, the cut will start to be uneven or the machine will heat up more than it should because you will use it longer.
What do you need to take care of the lawn?
- A lawn mower it can be manual, electric or gasoline.
- Fertilizers. You can use them liquid or granulated. Slow and/or fast acting.
- Water frequently. Always respecting the appropriate season of the year because it may need more or less water.
Lawn Care Tips
Lawn, in short, is beautiful and makes any garden beautiful. It is not very expensive to maintain or plant. But you have to know the basics to keep it perfect.
Do not forget about irrigation, a good fertilizer, the soil and the right cut. If this is maintained, you will always have a beautiful lawn and it will last a long time.