Those who have a garden at home, in general, strive to make it look in optimal conditions, because they are aware that, when it is neglected, it is considered unsightly and makes the house less attractive.
Table of Contents
Therefore, before deciding to have one or not, it is important to have the time to keep it fixed or the means to have someone else do it for you.
The gardening tasks are very varied and entertaining. They range from moving a pot from place, to cutting large branches from trees. Also, planting and watering new crops make the person relax and leave behind the stress of everyday life. For this reason, many experts recommend gardening as an ideal hobby for people with depression or anxiety.
Besides flowers, one of the most attractive elements of the garden is the lawn. It could be said that, when well cared for, it has the appearance of a large green carpet that covers every corner of the garden.
To keep it properly controlled, frequent pruning is necessary. For this work, a pruning machine is usually used. However, we can make the mistake of thinking that we should only pass it over the grass, as if we were walking a baby in his car. Is there something else involved in this task?
If you want to know how you can use a lawn mower, you have come to the right place. Through this post, you will learn everything related to this traditional and very useful tool of gardening, what it implies, the way in which it is used, the different types that exist, the maintenance it requires for its optimal functioning, among other things.
When you finish reading this post, you will have the necessary knowledge to start using it today. Thus, your garden will always have a neat appearance.
Instructions for using a lawn mower
The first thing you should keep in mind is that there are many models of lawn mowers. When selecting one, you must take into consideration the characteristics and dimensions of the land you are going to work on.
Although it is true that these machines are generally used throughout the year, their use is intensified during the rainy season, which is when the grass will grow faster.
Also, when buying it, you should advise yourself on its maintenance, the technical service to repair breakdowns, the places where you can buy spare parts, among other things.
In order to use a lawn mower properly, you need to make sure you follow the following guidelines:
- Read, very carefully, the instruction manual that comes with it to know the operation and possibilities of the machine, this way you will ensure that it lasts longer in good conditions.
- In addition, you should also be informed about the type of materials that you can cut and which ones you should avoid so that they do not get stuck in the blades and become a danger to you.
- Always, before you use it, make sure there are no loose parts inside the machine. You should also remember to remove any objects from the lawn that could cause the mower to bind. For example, balls, children’s toys, etc.
- Never run the mower indoors, as this can cause carbon dioxide to build up. It is best to do it in open spaces.
- Try not to have any part of your body or your clothes near the machine when it is in operation. Lawnmowers, as the name implies, cut, so you should not be careless when you are using it.
- If the lawnmower runs on gasoline, fill it outdoors and away from flammable or combustible materials.
- If the mower is electric, never cut the grass while it is wet. Also, make sure that the cable extension is in perfect condition and that it has the electrical power it requires for its operation.
- When you have finished using it, collect, store and protect all the tools you worked with, because if the mower gets wet in the rain, you would have to replace it in no time.
- Finally, make sure that the mower is in good condition at all times and that its blades are sharp so that you can carry out your work satisfactorily.
But what else do you need to know about the correct use of lawn mowers?
What do you need to use a lawn mower?
As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, there are different types of lawnmowers and, depending on the space where you are going to work, you need to know which one is the most suitable. Some of the mowers that exist are the following:
- If space is tight, then you can use a manual lawnmower, which is pushed by hand. They are very simple machines that have nothing but blades.
- If you don’t want to make more physical effort, you can choose to use a self-propelled mower with rotating and gradual blades, depending on the height of the grass.
- In case the surface is very wide, you should use a mini-tractor mower. This is a machine similar to a car; it has seats and is driven with the help of a steering wheel. Although it is true that their price is much higher, they are more comfortable and practical.
- To work in uneven or difficult-to-reach areas, you can use hedge trimmers or brush cutters, which are electric or gasoline-powered machines.
- Finally, to remove the remains of grass and dry leaves from the garden, you can use the blowers. These are tube-shaped machines that have a motor and generate very powerful air currents.
One of the things that will help you mow your lawn more easily is to determine its shape. While it is true that the trend is to have a square garden, round and irregular ones are easier to work with. But, what other recommendations would be good for you to know?
Tips for using a lawn mower
Next, I will share with you some tricks so that your lawn always looks green and healthy:
- When it comes to mowing the lawn, you should not mow more than three parts of the blade, as this facilitates the absorption of water and nutrients, especially during the summer season.
- Make sure that the mower blades are always sharp. When they are not, they tear the end of the leaves, which facilitates the entry of different diseases.
- Water the lawn early in the morning, since if you do it at night, the drops of water that remain on the leaves can harbor diseases that could end up damaging it.
- Keep the lawn well balanced. This requires that you know the pH of the soil and the amount of phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium it contains.
- Recycle your yard waste by making compost piles. The way to do it is very simple. You just have to drive 4 metal or wooden stakes, 1.5 m long, and 30 cm into the ground, forming a square. Then cover 3 of its sides with chicken wire.
Put grass clippings, dry leaves, straw, and kitchen scraps in the pile. However, refrain from depositing remains of meat, bones or some plant residues that have been treated with some type of herbicide, whether normal or selective.
If you take these recommendations into consideration, you can be sure that your lawn will always have a beautiful green color and will be the center of attention in the neighborhood where you live. Also, now you know the correct way to use a trimmer. If you follow my advice to the letter, it will be a long time before you have to replace any of its parts.